Thursday, June 2, 2011

Schools Out For Summer – Schools Out Forever!




"Trust In The LORD With ALL Your Heart, And Lean Not On YOUR Own Understanding; In ALL Your Ways Acknowledge Him, And He WILL Direct OUR Paths - Proverbs 3:5-6"

This verse gave me much comfort this AM and reminded me as always that this journey we have been chosen to be on is not for us to question – we must as the verse says NOT lean on our OWN understanding.

As always I am a nervous wreck before result days and with our last visit not being a bad one, but not as good as all others, I of course was nervous of this visit as well --- but I knew it was and continues to be in GOD’s hands and I must have complete faith. We have been very grateful in the times that we have been to MD, but last night was not all so great. Mike is generally in quickly when he has procedures such as MRIs and PET scans but last night arriving at 7:00PM at our scheduled time and still waiting to get in at almost 10PM – Mike became a little frustrated (as anyone would I imagine) and when they told us that we had another 1 ½ wait and then a 2 Hour scan to follow (putting us at home after mid-night) Mike as kindly as he could, declined the appointment and off to the house we went. He had to return bright and early today for the other part of his scan which went off without a hitch.

I was nervous because Mike being on the clinical trial we were under the impression that he must have the MRI results before they administer the chemo, but Praise GOD we were wrong and he is able to receive the chemo this afternoon. A huge thank you to MD Anderson for working with an overloaded schedule and getting Mike in tomorrow for his Spine MRI. Now don’t get me wrong, as his wife I was super upset for the fact that he had to wait that long last night and equally upset when he decided to leave, but Mike is a grown-man and there are times that I just don’t have a say so…this was one of them. I thank GOD everyday that we live only 15 minutes away from the hospital because when I get upset of the long waits, I immediately become humbled by all that are so far away from home, not getting to rest in their own beds or even in the comfort of a family or friends home. Mike feels this way as well and promises not to walk out on anymore appointments – haha! We shall see!

Moving on, we proceeded with Mike’s visit with Dr. Groves (Brain / Spine) Doctor and as usual Mike remains Cancer-Free in those areas! He passed all his Brain tests and Dr. Groves left the visit with all smiles! He was even a fan of Mike’s new tattoo representing his Brain / Lung Cancer --- He is STILL trying to get Mike to do a tattoo that will incorporate his “Shark” Bite scar on his head --- ha! No time soon Mike says!!

In the coming weeks, Mike will remain to receive the Mega-Chemo for the lungs and because he remains to do so well with the Brain / Spine (and due to him being a part of the clinical trial) he will continue to receive the chemo for that as well. No other MRIs or Scans scheduled for this month, but as always I will keep you posted of all!

As I stated in my last email, Mike will be heading to FL at the end of June --- I am going to miss the mess out of him, but know this trip will be so good for his soul and it is well deserved!! Mike and I continue to thank you ALL for ALL you do! Making us a part of your everyday by prayer, messages, emails, phone calls or just thoughts is so extremely important to us and we are forever grateful! Because of all of you, Mike stays so strong and courageous through this journey, and though we have tough days and it feels so hard to face the day, we know that we have such an amazing support team routing for us all the way and every day --- it instantly gives us the strength to get right back up and continue to journey this path GOD has put us on.

In closing, as Summer fast approaches I always ask myself --- why did we want to badly to be grown-ups? HaHa! I sure would love to be spending our days pool side or riding bikes around the neighborhood all day and making lemon-aide stands – how about you? The days seem to be going by us so fast as each year comes and goes, and with it already being June, one month away from Mike being diagnosed a whole year, I am reminded to take time for eachother. Don’t let any unnecessary time go by that you can’t get back. Family and Friends have always been so very important to Mike and I and now more than ever since his diagnosis and we remain so thankful for the bonds we have created with each of you.

Wanted to end with this quote I find to be oh so true --- “The great gift of family life is to be intimately acquainted with people you might never even introduce yourself to, had life not done it for you - Kendall Hailey”

XO Lyndie


No comments: