Monday, February 21, 2011

Making A Living By What I Do, BUT Making A Life By What I Give




“Without community service, we would not have a strong quality of life. It's important to the person who serves as well as the recipient. It's the way in which we ourselves grow and develop - Dr. Dorothy I. Height, president and CEO of the NCNW”

Well I finally did it! I have found an extracurricular activity that does not involve watching Trash-ality, reading tabloids or shopping – I have committed my extra time to become a volunteer at MD Anderson Cancer Center.

Since July 2010, we have spent so much time there, and the times that we have actually spent the nights in the hospital (After Mike’s surgery and when he had the issue with his sight), I really had time to walk around the hospital and study the ins and outs. I spoke to many patients, all there for such different reason, but there for the same also. I was able to chat with some of the doctors, nurses and staff that make up this renowned Cancer Center in the Heart of Houston TX. I also was fortunate enough to speak in length to a lot of the volunteers, who donate their extra time (all for different reasons) to ensure that the patients of MD Anderson, including My Husband, are well taken care of and all needs are met while offering comfort in the long days spent here.

I have long yearned to be a part of a volunteer group, but really never found my “nitch” I suppose. Nothing that really tugged my heartstrings quite like this does now…now that we are living in it. The minute I sat down at orientation, I knew I was doing the right thing and my heart became consumed with joy and I really feel that this will be my ministry (so to speak) and I will be able to continue to share Mike and I’s journey with others that are going through what we are going through.

In the hours that become days, the days that become nights, the nights that become weeks and weeks that become months and so on, I see the need in some patients eyes that are not as fortunate as Mike and I are to have such a strong support system of family and friends to be there with them on these times. These times that are sometimes so overwhelming and at that time the despair sets in along with the fear. This place is humongous and it truly knocks you down in the awe of the capacity of information that you are hit with.

As a caregiver, I hope to understand the needs of the patients on a level that only someone going through this can understand and offer something above and beyond just a cup of coffee or a warm blanket – I hope to offer an ear to listen, a heart to care and a hand to hold when needed. I hope to offer a sense of understanding knowing that each day is a day of uncertainty in this disease but have complete confidence with GOD and the ability to be placed at such an amazing facility, that we are safe.

In closing, I am excited about this chapter in my life. Mike and I remain so blessed to have such good days in the midst of the unknown and know that because of The LORD, our hearts are filled with trust, courage and strength – our fight is not over, but we are in the perfect place to fight this battle – Thank YOU GOD.

Thank you all for continued prayers – they are defiantly working and they are felt. Just this last week, in a prior email, I reached out prayers for My Aunt Julie who was diagnosed last year, a month or so after Mike – she received reports last week, she is Cancer Free!! GOD is working miracles in the lives of all that I love, including ours – Know that you our strong Prayer Warriors are helping with this as well!

Much love to you all!

1 comment:

C. Zampa said...

I'm so proud of you! God bless you in every way, my daughter!