Friday, June 29, 2012

Every Mile a Memory



“Every mile, a memory; every song, another scene, From some old movie going back in time you and me.  Every day, a page turned down; every night, a lonesome sound, Like a freight train rollin' through my dreams: Every mile, a memory – Dierks Bentley”

Something so soothing about a good written country song. I have always loved music, but it seems as when Mike was diagnosed, he taught me to listen to the words not just the beat of a good song. For all songs offer some meaning – they bring back memories. Whether it’s a booty-shaking song that reminds you of the crazy night with your girlfriends (Pour Some Sugar on me seems to ring a bell! ;) Or that slow song that takes you back to that first dance when you were wrapped in the arms of your love, or even that song that puts you right back on a river bank with some ice cold brewskies swapping stories with old and new friends, laughing it up and you get lost in the laughter but yet that song fits the scene and always takes you back!

The best part of music is that each song though loved by MANY offers a different meaning to each of us…I always end up finding a good meaning, even if it is a break-up song – ha! ‘Every Mile a Memory’ is one of my favorites! “Country Roads, old theatre marquee signs; Parkin' lots, and billboards flyin' by. Spanish moss, little hick town squares; Wild roses on a river bank: girl its almost like you're there” I love this verse, because soon after Mike passed 2 bushes that we had in our yard that NEVER grew for the 5 years we have been in our house freaking Bloomed, despite no sun and no water, I just knew it was Mike. Every day I strive to find something that I know he is a part of – Every Mile a memory. It may be just a song, or a random happening, like breaking out into an anxiety attack and pulling over on the ONLY side of town that Mike ALWAYS told me to never pull over…I guarantee he was laughing down at me, and as soon as remembered, I laughed and felt better…and got the heck outta dodge!

Today I learned that a classmate has passed too soon due to Cancer. He was loved by SO many and will be greatly missed by ALL! I am saddened and as I have said before, though I have recently lost my husband, I still have no “right” words…I do not believe any of us do. I hope none of us though our hearts are broken, even in despair; I hope we will also rejoice. The ones that leave us early are surely called for a reason, and we must have comfort in knowing that they are now our angels – they are able to watch us and protect us from this evil world that is slowly crashing around us. They are no longer in pain, no more suffering. I feel the hardest part of my journey with Mike was not the disease, but any suffering he endured…it is hurtful to see the person you are in love with, to have your best friend in any sort of pain that you are unable to cease. I feel that when this disease entered this world, The devil surely hoped for it to destroy families and relationships…for it happens, but with my experience, I have flipped the tables and I am thankful for ALL that I have met, continue to meet and friendships I have developed and for the ones that have become stronger ---- Devil: 1, Faithful Followers and Believers: 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 and counting!!

In closing, chose to cherish each song that you hear across the speakers. Find what that song means to YOU and store it forever! Chose to find daily anyone we have said goodbye to and sent onto their heavenly journey in your every day and cherish that, believe me they are there – ALWAYS there! Make ‘EVERY MILE A MEMORY!”

XOXOXO LC





No comments: