Sunday, January 1, 2012

THAT Word!




“It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class - Author Unknown”

I saw this quote and hesitated posting, because in all actuality, Mike has been blessed with an AMAZING team of Doctors not only at MD Anderson, but everyone from his Dentist to his Primary Care to all others that have crossed his path. He has been so fortunate to always visit a MD that takes his time with him, and will not let him leave the office till he is completely at peace and knows what is going on in his body.

Well the reason that I was jogged to write this particular post, was because though I feel confident in ALL of Mike’s doctors and continue to do so...but a common word used in the medial world is “prognosis”. Agh! The dreaded word – I almost feel this word is worse than the “C” word! Yes I really do. On the news last night, they had a segment about words that people are attempting to vote out of our current “dictionary/language”…you know the slang words that have become so embedded in our everyday talk --- Baby Mamma/Baby Daddy, LOL, Whatever and oh so many other words that have just become so natural flowing out of our mouths. However I for one want to vote the word prognosis out. The definition of prognosis is this: “A prediction of the probable course and outcome of a disease”. In all honesty I had never really heard this word too much until Mike was diagnosed. After that every time we spoke to someone, we were always asked “What is his prognosis”?

Since the beginning of Mike’s diagnosis, we were never “officially” given a prognosis from our doctor. We did however find out after a little prying to get some sort of idea as to the reality of this disease, and though at one time I did regret knowing, I am happy I know now, for I can say Mike stared that 6-9 months in the face and flipped it off and surpassed anything that the Doctors thought he would overcome. As this moves forward daily, I have promised myself that I no longer want to know the prognosis moving forward. Even with the news of the new spots we have received, I do not want to know the “statistical opinion” of others. For one thing I have learned on this journey is that we are ALL different and GOD is the ultimate predictor of “prognoses”.

In the beginning, gosh I was a GOOGLE freak! Every report that came back from Mike’s scans, I shot to GOOGLE to figure out all that “Medical Language”. When he coughed a certain way or had a certain pain, I shot to GOOGLE and every article had a “prognosis” as to what the outcome with having cancer and these symptoms. AGH! It will drive you crazy! One day, I had a person from Mike’s medical team tell me “Lyndie STOP Googling Everything!”. That was hard to hear, because the internet is so accessible, but do you notice one thing – NOT everything is true! I mean really? It’s the internet where you get first hand at all the Make Ups and Break Ups of the Celebrity industry. It is where you can on Wikipedia create your own definition of a made up word – I know! Anyhow, though a prognosis is defined and at MDA (in Mike’s case) is results of years and years of studies pertaining to particular cancers, etc – I am choosing no longer to know Mike’s Medical prognosis and relying on a day to day of GODs prognosis for us.

As Human’s our prognosis changes daily. Shoot when I was in my early twenties, the way I was leading life, I was sure to not see my 32nd birthday – but the party hard ways and lifestyle I led, while in terms of all studies, I should have been in jail, dead or possibly others, GOD had other plans and I am here today. Now don’t get me wrong, some of the “prognoses” given have been dead on…BUT many others have not and continue to not be. We are in a world that is based on statistics…Marriage, divorce, likely of getting a disease by drinking coffee or talking on cell phones and so many more. I used to let these “numbers” consume me beyond belief! But now, as I have learned and really continue to (though seems easier said than done), I continue to give it to GOD above! He is the ONLY one no matter how many “statistics” are given, he knows the ULTIMATE TRUE prognosis of us all! For this I have so much peace in knowing that a doctor nor the internet will choose what is to happen to My husband or I. Thank you JESUS for that peace!

In closing, as we enter this new year, yes, I know that Mike and I cannot control the cancer nor what GOD has planned for us, but each day we wake up, we CAN continue to strive to do what is right…we may not ALWAYS get it right, but we sure will try! Also, we cannot control the cancer, we CAN control how we treat ourselves and what we put into our bodies, hearts and minds – for this I am thankful for this freedom! The freedom to NOT depend on these numbers – for they are just that…numbers. Yes, true people depend on these “statistics and prognoses” but for me and my household, we will continue to serve the LORD and trust that he is the one that will determine when it is our time. My husband has fallen because of this disease and he has risen above it. I hope for us all we continue to rise above ALL our “diseases” this year in 2012 – let’s plan to not trust our “human Prognosis” but depend on what GOD above has planned!

My prayer for us all this year: Dear LORD, we come to you humbly and with hearts wide open. We life our hearts and minds to you in hopes that you will continue to strengthen them in this coming year. We are nowhere close to perfect in Human form, but we strive to be perfect in your eyes in all that we do. For you are the reason we are here today, and have all that we have. You are the reason we wake up every morning and live our days. Please allow us in 2012 to continue to make it ALL ABOUT YOU! Thank you JESUS for this ALL – In Your Name please accept this blessing. Amen!

XO Lyndie

No comments: