Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The 5 C’s of Cancer – Mikes Journey Continues




“The 5 C’s of Cancer --- You Did Not CAUSE Cancer, You Cannot CATCH Cancer, You Cannot CURE Cancer (YET), and You Cannot CONTROL Cancer – But GOD CAN! – Random Insert on a Board in a Exam Room at MDA”

I only felt this title for this entry was appropriate, because just today in a random Exam room, this was written on the dry erase board. It was something that I for sure needed to see today, and I am thankful for the reminder! I am not sure if it was written by a patient waiting for the doctor to come in killing some time and hoping to leave some inspiration for the next patient. I am not sure if it was a nurse, doctor or a staff of MDA, but either way, I am glad that it was there when we got in and I hope it remains for many others.

Well first and foremost, Mike and I hope you ALL had a wonderful Christmas with Family/Friends Near and Far! We also wish you the best New Year’s weekend ahead ringing in 2012 – just remember to be safe in all you do! Mike and I have opted to stay home with the “kiddos” and sit outside by the chiminea and ring it in with ourselves and the LORD above!

Today was our first meeting with Mike’s Oncologist since before the Thanksgiving holidays and my has the cancer been busy in his body since his last Pet Scan! The overall visit was good, and he remains stable in all the areas that were mentioned before with no Major activity (except for the lymph nodes that remain to fight this cancer and are inflamed). The only downfall to this visit is that they did pick up a spot on his liver. It is very, very small and was not a huge alarm to the Oncology team, but Mike will be starting chemo very soon after we ring in the New Year! I am no professional (yet) at this cancer stuff, but I did know that a risk of Stage IV lung cancer is that is does metastasis to other areas of the body including the brain (which is clear), the spine (which is still clear), the adrenal glands (which has not occurred) and the liver (which now has a less than centimeter spot).

Mike’s clinical trial that he started at the beginning of 2011 (I still cannot believe it is 2012 almost), will be over 12/31/11. His brain/spine team says he has Done VERY on this study, better than many others – for this we are grateful and happy that Mike was able to be a part of research that will hopefully be used to find cures for others with the same cancers. So with this being said, his Oncology Team and His Brain/Spine team will be working closely together in the next couple of weeks to determine what new chemo-combo is going to benefit him the most – I will for sure keep you all posted!

Mike prior to his diagnosis has experienced back problems (since I have known him) and with the cancer, they have gotten worse with the extensive procedures to his spine including the Lumbar Punctures, the cancer to the bone (which continues to heal) and just the cancer in general. Used to he could pop into a chiropractor and get a quick “Snap-Crackle-Pop” and feel better, but it is highly discouraged for him to receive those and/or massages due to the damage and healing of the bone…so they have created a new mixture of medicine that will help alleviate this pain while the healing continues!

You know this was not the BEST visit we have had, and I surely was not “Kart-Wheeling” out of MDA today, and yet my mind is a little confused and my heart is hurting for this new report, my heavenly heart and mind remain focused on GOD above and know that this is ULTIMATLY his plan for Mike. I don’t understand quite yet what all this means, nor what this new chemo will hold for Mike’s Cancer, but I do know one thing – well a few things --- Mike since this diagnosis has found GOD above and has given his life to the LORD. Mike has been an inspiration to SO many others that has including getting some people back in church, making mends with family/friends and ultimately just giving it ALL to GOD as he requests. It has brought Mike and I closer than ever and through this I did not just gain a great relationship with my husband, I have developed the Best Friendship ANYONE could every ask for.

You may wonder as you read this “is she scared”, “Is he scared” and maybe even be gasping and feeling sorry for us --- please do not. GOD has brought us this far, and I know this journey is FAR from over! As I said, GOD does not ask much of us even though he did give his ONLY son so that we may live our lives – and for this he just asks us to praise him for it ALL – Large and Small and Even when we fall (< ---- I have said this many times, but SO true!) So as I close tonight, know that Mike and I are surely uncertain of the “unknown”, but we are sure of how powerful our GOD is above and continue to trust him with ALL he hands us while we are here on this earth!

We both wish you ALL a wonderful weekend as you raise your sweet tea or glass of champagne and countdown with Dick Clark to a New Year that has so much to offer. Know that we love you so much, and even though we do not see you often or maybe not at all right now, know we love you ALL! This has been a radical year and I cannot wait to see what 2012 has in store for us – Hopefully much more inspiration and unbreakable bonds built across our nation!

OXOX Lyndie

No comments: