Friday, February 3, 2012

Just Wowed!




“Inspired by a true story, 50/50 is an original story about friendship, love, survival and finding humor in unlikely places. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen star as best friends whose lives are changed by a cancer diagnosis in this new comedy directed by Jonathan Levine from a script by Will Reiser. 50/50 is the story of a guy's transformative and, yes, sometimes funny journey to health - drawing its emotional core from Will Reiser's own experience with cancer and reminding us that friendship and love, no matter what bizarre turns they take, are the greatest healers”

Enjoyed a movie night with Mike – and in all honesty, the movie we chose to watch was extremely hard for me to finally make the decision. I have been avoiding this movie for a while, for I had not read too much about it, nor did I know that it was based on a true story – in all I was scared it had an un-happy ending. Granted it has Seth Rogan, but yet, I am sure just as all actors, for a role of a lifetime, I am sure it’s not too complicated to change your persona from a comedic laugh your butt off, to a more serious role – the goal is an Oscar right? Well, I decided to screw it and just watch it, no matter the ending, for I was anxious to see if they were to really depict the effects and changes cancer brings to your life --- needless to say, I am so happy we watched.

In all honesty, the very first 7 minutes of it with the trip to the doctor, receiving the diagnosis and the long walk out of the hospital hallways just in awe of the amount of patients that share this battle – the family and friends too. I give much kudos to the film team and to now know that this is based on a true story, it makes sense how every detail, every emotion was spot on – from the girlfriend who bailed, to the best friend who uses humor to mask the fear and the family that becomes so tight and protective. It was like looking at Mike, myself and our journey in a mirror. A movie that I must recommend…go get it NOW!

On another note, the reason for this email is for 2 things --- FIRST, I know that many people are calling Mike, and unfortunately he is just not up to talking. Mixture of battling the depression, etc he is in a funk at the moment, that I pray once Monday comes and we are starting new treatment, it will subside and hope will settle back in his mind. SO, a few months ago, we subscribed to SKYPE which we have not used a whole lot, but we have used and it is amazing to be able to talk to someone across the world, and minus the sometimes delay, it is like you are there with them. SO I wanted to provide our SKYPE name and if you are up to it, let us know and go crazy with talking to Mike and visiting face to face – it really is so simple and we really have enjoyed it --- Our name is ‘lyndienmike’. The current account we have is free and no charge to video one to another – I am not sure of the other features; I have not gotten that far yet. I feel it may offer some cheer to Mike daily to see and talk to family and friends we do not see often or that are in other states and cannot just stop by the house…just an option – look into it!

2nd news is that with all that is going on in the past few weeks, with all the side effects from all Mike has gone through it continues trivial to pin point exactly may be causing it – when you read the side effects of all the meds, the procedure, the cancer and all else, they all just kind of lump together and share the symptoms. One thing I maintain to stay on top of is the liver – being a soft organ and usually when the cancer has metasisized to this area, it can offer complications. The side effects he has now are also signs of liver failure…ugh! Why can’t this be easier and just not all symptoms share in a million different causes --- SO I emailed the oncologist today, just to ensure anything I may look out for regarding any liver failure. The last visit when these were brought into the picture, our doctor ensured that she was not raising red flags and felt confident that it would not progress extensively before treatment started. With that in the back of my mind, I still wanted to make sure. She emailed me back letting me know that ALL of mike’s blood work he has done recently and even back a few months, show nothing compromising the liver. His levels are above normal. She said that if anything would have been off, he would have been brought in. Now again, nothing out of the ordinary caused me to inquire, but with everything sharing the same symptoms it seems, I just wanted to have comfort knowing that his organs were not being compromised.

In all, though the recent overall news is confusing and inserts doubt and fear, every bit of any good news is comforting and I will gladly take it – I told mike and he gave me the thumbs up and said hurry up Monday! On a good note, Mike continues to be aware of all around him, walking around with minimal assistance and though he continues to rest…he is awake through the day versus sleeping it away. It really is just the small things.

In closing, I will continue to keep you all posted as to treatment this coming week and how Mike continues to do. I myself continue to battle the devil and angel on my shoulder…but rather continue, decided to flick the BOTH off and keep my eyes, heart and mind focused on above – I found an article today sent to me anonymously regarding a man a little older than Mike that survived leptominginal disease and is now in remission for 7 years --- continuing to stay away from the “normal statistics” and just continuing to know and trust – we are NOT in control – HE is! As the movie – in ALL aspects of our life – isn’t it really 50/50?

XOOX Till next time!

Lyndie

No comments: