Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year – XO Lyndie and Mike



“The total history of almost anyone would shock almost everyone - Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960”



Wow! CHRIST-mas time already then the New Year --- Amazing! I love the rush of the holidays. I feel it’s not just the shopping of gifts or the excitement of the upcoming vacation and rushing around to see all family. I feel it is the reality of the year coming to an end and it wakes and shakes up the procrastinator in us all and we are suddenly on a time line to get our year-end honey do’s done and prepare for the new year! I love it actually and it adds a little pep to my step!

Also, this time of year we all come together as family and friends, and not all of us, but a lot of us are able to put the past issues of the year (or years) behind us (even if just for a day) and come together not for the presents or the good food, but come together as one to celebrate JESUS’s birthday and all that the season means!

I have borrowed the below entry from a friend of mine. I read it and it really made since and has had me reflecting on my answers (even though it is not a true quiz) it surely has my mind pondering. Take a moment to read:

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America pageant.
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade’s worth of World Series Winners

The point is none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners

1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special!
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.

The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money or the most awards…they simply are the ones who care the most.



Now if I had to really answer these questions, I assure you I could put on a mad GOOGLE search and find out for you. AND we all know that I am one of the biggest TRASH-ality followers, and though I could not even tell you the infamous question “Now why are the Kardashians famous?” Though I cannot answer that, I am still guilty of watching. I even indulge in a little fist pumping action with Jersey Shore and cringe at the Botox treatments the Real Housewives under-go. BUT I know in my heart MY reality and the people that are a part of it.

This CHRIST-mas is very special this year to Mike and I. As we know everyday is not promised, yet we assume we will wake-up the next morning – and when we do, I remain thankful for such a great GOD to allow me another day to keep doing something right. This time last year, Mike was fresh from brain surgery and had just started chemotherapy. Now all who spent the holidays with us last year and even the first 6 months of Mike’s treatment know that with the steroids he was on (per the treatment requirements) he was not the best of company. At this same time, we had to face the reality that this may be his last CHRIST-mas – though treatment seemed to be working and GOD was blessing us with miraculous results, it was still so new to us. Mike has now surpassed the 6-9 month prognosis and has celebrated his birthday this year and now the wonderful CHRIST-mas holidays!

I wanted to insert the above questions because, though I am not good at history, and I tend to forget the ever-changing headlines, I can answer ALL of the questions pertaining to people in MY everyday life. In fact, I can give you more than just two, five or a “few”, I can guarantee if YOU are reading this, I am speaking of you. Mike and I have been blessed with AMAZING, I mean AMAZING family, friends, co-workers, doctors and so much more! I am not super good with names, but I have a face etched in my mind forever! As I am writing this now, I have a swirl of faces flying through my brain with a memory attached to it. Maybe a memory of us as young kids putting on a “talent show” for our parents dressed in mom’s clothes and heels. Maybe a memory of sneaking out of the house for the first time to ONLY get caught as we rounded the front of the house. Maybe a memory of a friend in need making that midnight phone call with nothing to say, but to just to hear your breath on the other end. ALL of these are great memories and each one makes me smile – maybe that is why I am always “Kart-Wheeling” and feel the sun on my skin – for ALL of you have helped me create so MANY good memories that they out-weigh the bad ones.

Because of you all, this past year, though VERY stressful, heart-breaking at times and scary, because of YOU, Mike and I both have experienced such love while enduring such pain at the same time. YOU ALL deserve so much from Mike and I, and unfortunately we have yet to win the lottery, so I hope this letter will stay forever close to your heart and remain priceless. Mike and I thank you so much!

Mike and I do not have a lot, but we have each other and ALL of you. And though each relationship with you all are completely different and have its own dynamics, I feel all have the same foundation which is love! Mike and I wish you a Wonderful CHRIST-mas Celebration and a Wonderful NEW Year! Know that on this day, YOU have made a difference in our lives without even knowing it. I hope that everyone reading this will find their internal sunshine and “Kart-Wheel” mentality to flip-flop into this New Year!

XO Lyndie

1 comment:

Tara Meza Martin said...

Beautiful blog! Great childhood memories that will forever be in my heart! Merry Christmas to you & Mike! God Bless you both! Xoxo