Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A River Trip – NEVER to Be Forgotten





“If Children Have the Ability to Ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them.  When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope?  We have two options, medically and emotionally:  give up, or fight like hell - Lance Armstrong”

In a few entries before I have used this quote above – I just love the truth behind it and this weekend I was fortunate enough to meet first hand an inspiration behind this quote.

It really started out like any trip to the Guadalupe – my second time this year to go, and again another trip without Mike.  It was bitter-sweet as many days are when encountered with memories and familiar places we had such good memories, but as always, I was welcomed by good friends, smiling faces and just overwhelming love!  Oh goodness – the trip there was a trip within itself!  My “other half” – my Michelle to my Romey headed out to Up the River Camp for an adventure that would surely be one that as all is unforgettable! 

Like all road trips…”Are we there yet?” came out of our mouths a handful of times, and with the music cranking, random stories and memories shared, the 3 hour trip (thank Goodness we didn’t end up on Gilligan’s Island ;) we were there before you knew – let the fun…eeeerrrr randomness commence!

I have to admit, I have not been “camping” since my early 20’s – the sweaty nights, fans blowing, dirt in EVERY-thing and massive sunburns --- I have to admit, this was quite a treat!  When we arrived, our tents had been set up (full accommodated with window A/C units), air mattresses – it was really inviting!  Minus a few water leaks, wet clothes and lost items through-out the course of the weekend, it was an AMAZING weekend ---- AND no Sunburn!

On to the touching part(s)!  As always, you know I seek daily to find Mike in something I do, and this trip being the one place that Mike and I shared SO many great memories, it didn’t take long before he appeared…El Toro showed up as always. Shay and I saw him in the clouds, the minute he crossed my mind overlooking the river our song came blasting over the radio and the most AMAZING moment of the whole trip came in the form of a precious 6 year old boy.

Our day/night at camp consisted of waking up, the walk of death to the 2nd River float.  Aye! We were so excited the day before, so eager and rushing to that water to drop in and just relax…it felt like death row the next day! Needless to say, we made it, floated, made it back to camp and ALMOST called it quits.  We opted to stay at camp, play some games and just spend it till the next morning…HIS plan was bigger than us!  We somehow managed to gain a 10th wind (after failing with lighting and a swarm of River flies we still can’t identify) so we decided to end our night once again at River Camp General Store and belt out some Karaoke and chill the night away!

We arrived…parked our chairs and the night began! Greeted all we have been hanging with, greeting new people and the night went into affect!  A few songs and Jell-O shots in, a family that we had danced with the night before came to stage with a small chair, 2 parents and a little precious 6 year old boy.  We all assumed at this time it was his birthday and we were about to go into a restaurant welcoming of Happy Birthday from the entire camp…boy did the tide change.  Lisa, Little Rickey’s beautiful Mother along with his father Rick Sr. -- As she started to speak, she thanked not her family and friends that joined them, but yet the entire audience for sharing this special moment – Ricky has just finished his LAST chemotherapy and his Leukemia that was lingered…IS GONE!  This was indeed a celebration!  All of sudden the thoughts of singing Happy Birthday seemed a far distance and I felt that this weekend that I almost (almost) chose not to come due to work, fell right into place and ‘El Toro’ was so strong and allowed us to become one with Ricky and celebrate this moment!

I am not sure about anyone else, but I couldn’t hold the tears back – for they were not sad, yet happy to know this young boy has endured what my husband has endured – a man that stood 6’2”, has lived such a diverse and fulfilling life and was able to rest in peace knowing all he had accomplished.  A young boy that at his age, knows the pain he feels, but yet endures what is given to him to make it possible for him to live.  A young boy, who does not see the tears of his loving parents who strive, themselves to compose to be strong for this young boy and keep smiling and positive to ensure his mindset, does not change.  A young boy who was not promised tomorrow, yet celebrates at Camp with us just in the midst of months of my husband passing giving me peace (he is not aware of) to know that my ‘El Toro’ remains with me daily…what a blessing!

In closing, I will FOREVER remember this River trip – what a blessing to so many!  What a GOD-sent to share this with such a diverse group, and not realize amongst the group a common is shared…I am forever in awe of HIS plan --- his timing!

XOXOOX  --- LC







And a Dedication to ALL Fighting and Surviving ------





1 comment:

Vastine Bondurant said...

That made my day, to hear about Little Ricky, to hear about your trip.

Love you so very much.